Monday, October 22, 2007

Bhargavi - Where are you????

Bhargavi is a 19 year old pretty cousin of mine studying second year BA at Kolar Government College. She is my grand mother's sister's grand daughter. So we are second or third cousins as you see. Bhargavi's parents are from Kolar and have faced financial problems for quite some time. Bhargavi's mother Manjula aunty studied till 10 standard and was married off when she turned 17 to Ramesh uncle. Ramesh uncle is a kind gentleman who loved Manju aunty and took good care of her. They live in a modest little home in Kolar.

Every time Bhargavi visits my family, my mother makes sure to send her back with lots of goodies, mainly new salwaar kameezes, sarees etc. Today being Monday I was quite busy at work and by the time I had my coffee break, it was 12 noon. I badly wanted to speak to my mom so I placed a call to Bangalore. My sister had done some Naga Prathista pooja and we were talking about that. Suddenly, mom said "Do you know Bhargavi?", I was like "yeah, Manju aunty's daughter right?", mom said "yes, somebody has kidnapped her, Manju called me today and gave me this news". For a second, I was shocked and didn't know how to react. Mom said that Bhargavi was giving her Second BA exams and was returning home on her cycle and some miscreants who were travelling in a car stopped her and took her away in their car. This happenned 4 months ago.

Manju aunty and Ramesh have been running pillar to post trying to find their daughter's whereabouts. They even lodged a complaint with the police, however the policeman was not sympathetic at all I believe, he kept saying that their daughter might have eloped with someone. Manju aunty broke down when she was sharing all this with my mom, she kept saying "Akka, I know Bhargavi, I know my child, she is a very studious kid who wanted to get a job as a teacher and support us, she can never elope with anyone". Of course the neighbors and so called well wishers are painting the town red spreading nauseous rumours that Bhargavi has eloped with one of her class mates, which however is not true.

I just couldn't concentrate on my work after this call, I kept thinking about Bhargavi. I had 2 presentations to make in front of my VPs, I ended up rescheduling my meetings. I discussed this with my husband and he is feeling very bad too. I am planning on sending Bhargavi's details to Crime Story and Crime Diary offices. G and I are also planning on contacting a few detective agencies. I know that it is already too late, however we want to bring back Bhargavi and help her rebuild her life again. Every time I close my eyes I see her smiling at me.

9 comments:

FH said...

Oh dear!! Hope she is safe somewhere. I would be happy if she had eloped with a guy rather than being kidnapped and tortured! You know what I mean?
A 9yr old girl was kidnapped when I was in CKC boarding school in Mysore, her parents never found her inspite of spending lot of money and effort.
I really hope Bhargavi will be found, good for you to help her parents in anyway. Good luck.

By Deepa and Supriya said...

Well, I am just thinking about all the bureaucratic hurdles that have to be crossed before you can get any substantial work can be done..but still that shouldn't stop you from trying. I can only imagine what her parents must be going through and also that if she is found she will have a tough road ahead...trying to get life back to normalcy...it is sad how we think when it comes to matters like this, isn't it?

Chickoo said...

Ashakka - Every time I think of Bhargavi and the ordeal she might have been through, it sends a chill down my spine. I could not eat or sleep properly since I heard the news.

Orchid - I know about the bureaucracy and the justice system over there, it sucks big time. G and I have braced ourselves to combat that, but since we are physically here it may not be that easy, but we will do our best. We just want her back, we will do whatever it takes to rebuild her life.

Deeps said...

Oh God!! Thats so scary! I really hope she's alright and hopefully your efforts will result in her being safe..

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

Thats really sad to know.... I hope your efforts show some results. She will remain in our prayers. Good luck and do keep us posted.

Chickoo said...

Deepthi- Yes, it is very scary. The worst part is that when I asked the parents permission to project their situation on crime story they vehemently refused. They don't want the whole world to know about this (!!). What do you say to such people??
Ramya - Thanks for dropping by, if you read my comment to Deepthi, you will know where we are struggling.

Sia said...

my god!!! thats really scary. i can just pray and hope for the best.

Sumana said...

Hello chickoo,
I stepped across your blog from deeps. Read a few of your blogs, very nice and feels like reading more and more. I am sorry to hear about your cousin. Hope she is back safe and sound by now.

Anonymous said...

great post. I would love to follow you on twitter.