Monday, February 12, 2007

Hunt for the right college

After I was done celebrating my 10th results, it was time to move on. All my neighbourhood aunties and uncles started interrogating me by asking me "Estu percentage bandide? Namma Sureshange 98% bandide, yava college ge admission hakiddeeya??", I would get really irritated on hearing this. I would say "not sure uncle, I will join whereever I get a seat" and scoot off. I guess this is the Indian mentality to be curious about everything :)

The application process started off with a gusto, I started queing up in lines in front of National college, Vijaya College (Main and PU collkege), BHS, NMKRV and BMS college.

My dad wanted me to join National College, Jayanagar as it was a good college and every body had spoken positively about it. I was fine with it as it was close to my home. I had made up my mind that I would take up PCMB. Now when I think about it, I feel I made a big mistake opting for Science. I guess when you live in a environment where everybody judges you based on the branch you opt for (Science - good, Arts - useless, Commerce - Ok, so -so), the percentage you get, the college you join, one is pressurized to toe the line, and that is what I did. I blindly opted for P - Physics, C - Chemistry, M- Maths and B- Biology.

The admission results (as though the 10th std results were not enough!) were announced in the month of May. I realized that I had got admission for PCMB in National college Basavangudi and BMS college for Women. I opted for National. I realized that my school friends Vasu, Pari and Uma had got admitted to BMS college. I was really disappointed that I couldn't be with them. Now I had to not only get accustomed to a new environment but also make new friends :(

5 comments:

FH said...

I agree with that Indian mentality!That's why so many kids commit suicide every year,so much pressure to achieve.I chose PCMB too and then switched to Psychology(Arts)later and was happier there.
Waiting for next one!:))

Chickoo said...

Ashakka,
The suicide part is so true. I also had suicidal thoughts at some point of time during II PUC. Will write more in my future posts.

Deeps said...

Hmmm its different for different people I guess. I really wanted science, so it didn't feel like pressure to me..

I got into NCJ, well, I didn't have any problems as I had 92% and it was a direct admission :).

Sia said...

oh admission mugita? now i know there r more interesting posts to come:)
i know more than our parents our relatives and so called well wishers r keen to know our results and what we r upto;) he he eh... somethings will never change i guess

Chickoo said...

@ Deepthi, true you are right. BTW You were one hell of a brainy girl :) 92% is very impressive.

@ Supriya - Admission eno aithu innu bekadastu vishaygalu ive avannella bareetheeni :)
Houdu parents gintha ee uncles aunties irthara avaru tumba dangerous :)