Thursday, August 16, 2007

Mera Bharat Mahaan

Saw this link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uswp7hrGomo
at another blogger's (Usha's ageless bonding) site and was moved to tears just like she was. Mera Bharat Mahaan! and nothing can change that. I am proud to be an Indian and if I am ever born again, I would like to be born in the same country . My husband and I had been debating on and off on becoming american citizens. Yesterday, we finally decided to forego the american citizenship. The terms Indian Citizen and a person of indian origin are quite different. We opted for the former. Both of us are extremely proud of our decision.

3 comments:

FH said...

Whoa!! That is a BIG decision to make!!!
I sometimes think we shouldn't give up Indian passport either but there is a dual citizenship privilege now,so it's easy for us to get both.
My kids are Americans, they will never want to go to India.We might make a trip for 6mnts every year but I think our life is here now.I think it's easy when the kids very young,once they grow up you can't change lot of things!:)
That does not change our feelings about India though.Arvind and I will always be Indians regardless of passports we own!:))
Hope you had a great celebration there,we didn't have any here,very few Indians.See you later.Have a fun weekend.

Deeps said...

Wow! Good for you guys. We still have that decison to go (we do have lots of time for that..). But you know what, the citizenship doesn't really matter as long as you love your country (as Asha put so beautifully above)..

Chickoo said...

Ashakka - True, we reached this decision after discussing this on and off for the last 3 years. But I somehow feel that I will lose my identity by letting go my passport, I also cannot relate to the American oath. But this is just me :).