Friday, May 2, 2008

We found Bhargavi

I did a post on my cousin Bhargavi's abduction three months ago. My mom said that she was hearing all kinds of rumours, somebody mentioned that she had eloped with the local MLA's son, another mentioned that she was abducted by a bunch of thugs, some body else mentioned seeing her in Mumbai. Nevertheless, all this had a terrible effect on Bhargavi's family. I was moved by her family's plight and vowed to do something about it. I sought my husband's help and he wholeheartedly supported me in this effort.

I contacted Capt.J who happens to be the MD of a leading detective agency based in Koramangala - Bangalore, this company was my client when I was involved in marketing e-commerce solutions 9 years ago. I was pleasantly surprised to know that he still remembered me, I explained the entire situation to him and gave him the details of my cousin, my mom gave him Bhargavi's recent pictures. He assured me that he would look into it and asked me for a week's time to investigate this matter. It got very busy on the work front and I was busy traveling and attending training seminars and it missed my mind that I was supposed to follow-up after a week with Capt.J. 2 months ago, I got back from work, finished the necessary drill (cook, put my daughter A to sleep, clean the kitchen) and went to bed. I was woken up by a phone call at 12-45 a.m, it turned out to be from Capt. J, the line was not clear and he hung up twice. Now I started getting worried and had already made up my mind about Bhargavi's fate, I got up and kept praying, sleep just eluded me. Capt. J called me again at 1:30 am, this time the line was clear and he started off by telling me " I have good news for you", I heaved a sigh of relief upon hearing that. He started telling me all about it, Bhargavi was in love with the local MLA's son, he happens to be from a different religion, Bhargavi's parents had come to know about this and had tried their best to dissuade her, no amount of coaxing or emotional blackmailing seemed to work. They even went to the extent of beating her up and keeping her under "house arrest". Fed up of all this, Bhargavi and her boyfriend hatched a plan to elope and make it seem like a kidnapping incident. Their efforts seemed to be paid off as most of them did believe that she was kidnapped. The cops however had their own theories (!), they were right all along (for a change), they just said it was an open and shut case of elopement and they wouldn't and couldn't do anything about it.
I was a bit mad at Bhargavi's parents for not disclosing any info about her affair, at least it would have put my mind to rest. I was also not happy about Bhargavi's irresponsible attitude, but I don't think I have a right to judge her or her parents. I was only concerned about her safety, that is all.

Bhargavi is happily married now and living with her husband's family, she has plans to complete her BA via correspondence. She called me 2 weeks ago and apologized for what she did, she also said that she loved her husband very much and that they both grew up together and she couldn't imagine not being with him. She also mentioned to me that her parents were on the verge of finalizing her marriage with another guy and they were getting ready to whisk her off to the neighboring town and get her married forcibly. She couldn't think of any other options, so she had to take this extreme step.

Any way, I am glad that she is happy and that is what matters to me the most.

14 comments:

FH said...

That is great news! I am happy for her. I don't know when Indian families learn to accept 18+ young people as adults!! How many generations does it take to be civilized? It amazes me that even in 2008 they hit an adult and try to lock up.Arvind's aunt went thru' all that 20yrs ago, still managed to escape and get married.Now they have 2 kids and family has reconciled.
Atleast Bhargavi is married and happy, although she could have called her family and told them that she is alive and well somewhere.What ruckus and pain she has caused for everybody. Police would have sued her for refund if she was here!:D

Chickoo said...

@ Ashakka - You are always the first to comment :). How are you doing? Haven't seen any posts from you for a long time.

Sia said...

chickoo, glad to know that she is safe!

Deeps said...

Its really funny the way her parents insisted that she was "kidnapped". For heaven's sake. Its her life, let her live it!!

Anyways glad that it all got sorted out :).

Deeps said...

Wanted to add that, though I do think that her parents should let her live her life, what Bhargavi did was extremely irresponsible. After the toils that your parents go through taking care of you for all these years, the least you could do is to inform them that you are eloping!

Rohini said...

I would really place a majority of the blame on the parents. Had they been more tolerant and accepting, this state of affairs would not have come about. Objecting is one thing but beating up your adult daughter because you don't approve of her lover life is crossing the line...

Chickoo said...

@ Deeps : True, I am not sure why parents do this. I see many cases where parents conveniently say that their daughters were kidnapped while the fact is something else.

@ Rohini: Welcome to my blog, I read your blog regularly. Hope Ayaan is doing well. Yes - I agree with you, I hold the parents responsible to a great extent for not accepting the fact that their daughter had found the love of her life.

FH said...

You know how they add so much oil to maida dough in India for obbattu, that's what makes it so soft. I get scared to add a lot but add few tbsps of oil to make roll etc, It's soft enough but as soft as my ajji's obbattu! Try adding some veg shortening to it, might work!:))

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I just happened to browse your blog. And read in one of your posts that you were in JSS school. I also studied in JSS school from 3rd standard to 10th. I saw the list of your friends & was surprised to see that they were my friends too. By the way my name is Sowjanya. I don't know whether you know me or not.

Shobhi said...

Hi, This is Shobha. Shobha Herle. Do you remember me. Came to know about your blog from Sowjanya (JSS school friend). Its always nice to get in touch with old school friends. The last I saw you was in 99 I think at the airport where you were leaving for US with your hubby.

Chickoo said...

Hi Sowjanya!!! Ofcourse I know you and remember you, we were in the same class for god's sake :), I am soo glad to have found you, please email me your contact info.

Chickoo said...

Shobha!!! Ninnanna mareyoke agutta?? How are you kane? Yes the last we saw each other was at the airport when I was leaving to US. Please nin email address kalsu nange. How is Madhukar doing?

Anonymous said...

My email id is sowju_k@yahoo.com

Shobhi said...

Sadya maretilalla. Anna chennagiddane. Ninna blogs swalpa bits and pieces odide. Came to know what u have been doing all this time. Suddenly after so many years I am finding so many school friends. It's exciting kane. Nanna email Id shobhi98. Gmail id. Mail maadu.