Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Angel : Day 6 update

Angel had some internal bleeding in her brain yesterday, it was minimal and it stopped after some time. The doctors gave her medicines to control that. My sister is currently faced with a dilemma. Her husband J visited her at my mom's place and spoke to her in a very nice manner and kept telling her that he loves her and does not want her to sink in to depression. He also mentioned that, doctors have not given guarantee that the baby will be healthy without any birth defects. The following scenarios may happen:
- The baby might have speech and hearing disabilities
- Mental disabilities
- Sight problems

Again, these are just some probabilities that may or may not happen. J said that as parents they are the ones who have to go through the mental trauma of seeing their child suffer. More over this is a girl child, how do we handle it when she attains puberty and is mentally retarded, or has any other disabilities? J firmly said that they both have to take a decision soon. But he didn't really go into details on the so called "decision". He also told my sister that after 2 months when the baby is handed over to them, he will not take any responsibility for bringing up the child. On one hand he was all soft and nice, on the other he is also extremely practical and just doesn't care whether his words will cause hurt to the other person, the other person being his wife and my sister,my best friend. I called her an hour ago, all I could hear was her crying. She said "I see my baby everyday lying in the incubator, how can I bring myself to tell the doctor to remove the life sypport system?? what do you think I should do?". I did not know what to say as I am a mother myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sad D....just cant imagine the plight ur sis is going through...i pray for her well being...n the best they think for their baby...

FH said...

I am so sorry for your sis D! It is tough when the baby is severely pre-mature, and it is dilemma!
Regardless of what that BIL says,it's up to the docs who care for her to decide and tell the family whether you have a choice.Then,collectively and mainly your sis has to decide.Hope everything turns out good!